Seventeen civilians, including two women, were found beheaded in southern Afghanistan on Monday. Officials said the Taliban carried out the bloody attack on the civilians for taking part in a "mixed-sex" music party. The bodies were found in a house near the Musa Qala district. "The victims threw a late-night dance and music party when the Taliban attacked," said district governor Nimatullah, who goes by just one name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The safest seats are at the back of the plane — and 5 other surprising facts about airline crashes
- Why charity can't solve society's deepest problems
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week