Seventeen civilians, including two women, were found beheaded in southern Afghanistan on Monday. Officials said the Taliban carried out the bloody attack on the civilians for taking part in a "mixed-sex" music party. The bodies were found in a house near the Musa Qala district. "The victims threw a late-night dance and music party when the Taliban attacked," said district governor Nimatullah, who goes by just one name.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How U2 became the new Nickelback
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week