OOD DAY FOR:
Living long and prospering
A Georgia woman becomes only the eighth person ever to celebrate a 116th birthday. [Slate]
After an elderly woman botches the restoration of a Spanish fresco, making Jesus resemble a "pale monkey," hundreds of tourists flock to the church to view it. [Discovery News]
Punctuality-minded Star Wars fans
An R2D2-themed alarm clock made from highly-detailed molds of the character will roll around your room playing the Star Wars theme song until you get out of bed. [Gizmodo]
BAD DAY FOR:
A new survey finds that 37 percent of women and 29 percent of men believe snooping through a partner's text messages or emails is acceptable if bad behavior is suspected. [Mashable]
NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate pulls The New Normal, a new sitcom that features a gay family, from its fall lineup. [Videogum]
Stealing from the sick
A man steals a phone from an Ebola patient in a Ugandan isolation ward and promptly contracts the disease himself. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 24, 2012
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Did God have a wife?
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
Subscribe to the Week