OOD DAY FOR:
Living long and prospering
A Georgia woman becomes only the eighth person ever to celebrate a 116th birthday. [Slate]
After an elderly woman botches the restoration of a Spanish fresco, making Jesus resemble a "pale monkey," hundreds of tourists flock to the church to view it. [Discovery News]
Punctuality-minded Star Wars fans
An R2D2-themed alarm clock made from highly-detailed molds of the character will roll around your room playing the Star Wars theme song until you get out of bed. [Gizmodo]
BAD DAY FOR:
A new survey finds that 37 percent of women and 29 percent of men believe snooping through a partner's text messages or emails is acceptable if bad behavior is suspected. [Mashable]
NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate pulls The New Normal, a new sitcom that features a gay family, from its fall lineup. [Videogum]
Stealing from the sick
A man steals a phone from an Ebola patient in a Ugandan isolation ward and promptly contracts the disease himself. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 24, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- How Community's Dean Pelton broke new ground for sexual politics on television
- How Captain America won over China
Subscribe to the Week