GOOD DAY FOR:
Living long and prospering
A Georgia woman becomes only the eighth person ever to celebrate a 116th birthday. [Slate]
After an elderly woman botches the restoration of a Spanish fresco, making Jesus resemble a "pale monkey," hundreds of tourists flock to the church to view it. [Discovery News]
Punctuality-minded Star Wars fans
An R2D2-themed alarm clock made from highly-detailed molds of the character will roll around your room playing the Star Wars theme song until you get out of bed. [Gizmodo]
BAD DAY FOR:
A new survey finds that 37 percent of women and 29 percent of men believe snooping through a partner's text messages or emails is acceptable if bad behavior is suspected. [Mashable]
NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate pulls The New Normal, a new sitcom that features a gay family, from its fall lineup. [Videogum]
Stealing from the sick
A man steals a phone from an Ebola patient in a Ugandan isolation ward and promptly contracts the disease himself. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 24, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week