GOOD DAY FOR:
Living long and prospering
A Georgia woman becomes only the eighth person ever to celebrate a 116th birthday. [Slate]
After an elderly woman botches the restoration of a Spanish fresco, making Jesus resemble a "pale monkey," hundreds of tourists flock to the church to view it. [Discovery News]
Punctuality-minded Star Wars fans
An R2D2-themed alarm clock made from highly-detailed molds of the character will roll around your room playing the Star Wars theme song until you get out of bed. [Gizmodo]
BAD DAY FOR:
A new survey finds that 37 percent of women and 29 percent of men believe snooping through a partner's text messages or emails is acceptable if bad behavior is suspected. [Mashable]
NBC's Salt Lake City affiliate pulls The New Normal, a new sitcom that features a gay family, from its fall lineup. [Videogum]
Stealing from the sick
A man steals a phone from an Ebola patient in a Ugandan isolation ward and promptly contracts the disease himself. [Huffington Post]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 24, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Deficit scolds are the most crazed ideologues in America
Subscribe to the Week