Former Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter has been hospitalized with a "serious illness," according to a report on Philly.com, which cited anonymous friends of the lawmaker. The reason for the Republican-turned-Democrat's admittance into the hospital is not known, but the 82-year-old announced in 2005 that he had Hodgkin's disease. He underwent chemotherapy and was treated again for it in 2008.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week