Former Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter has been hospitalized with a "serious illness," according to a report on Philly.com, which cited anonymous friends of the lawmaker. The reason for the Republican-turned-Democrat's admittance into the hospital is not known, but the 82-year-old announced in 2005 that he had Hodgkin's disease. He underwent chemotherapy and was treated again for it in 2008.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
Subscribe to the Week