Former Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter has been hospitalized with a "serious illness," according to a report on Philly.com, which cited anonymous friends of the lawmaker. The reason for the Republican-turned-Democrat's admittance into the hospital is not known, but the 82-year-old announced in 2005 that he had Hodgkin's disease. He underwent chemotherapy and was treated again for it in 2008.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- America is doomed! (And other thoughts on our gloomy historical moment.)
Subscribe to the Week