Former Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter has been hospitalized with a "serious illness," according to a report on Philly.com, which cited anonymous friends of the lawmaker. The reason for the Republican-turned-Democrat's admittance into the hospital is not known, but the 82-year-old announced in 2005 that he had Hodgkin's disease. He underwent chemotherapy and was treated again for it in 2008.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 12 holiday gifts for the hardest-to-shop-for people on your list
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week