he office of former Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter confirmed that the 82-year-old is once again battling cancer. Earlier Tuesday morning, Philly.com reported that Specter had been hospitalized with a serious illness. The Republican-turned-Democrat announced in 2005 that he had been diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease, for which he underwent chemotherapy. When his cancer returned in 2008, he was treated a second time. "I am battling cancer, and it's another battle I intend to win," Specter said in the statement on Tuesday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week