orecasters at the National Hurricane Center say Isaac has strengthened to a Category 1 hurricane with 75 mph winds as it approaches Louisiana. Isaac is expected to make landfall over the southeastern portion of the state late Tuesday or early Wednesday. The massive storm could reach 200 miles out from its center, pushing "walls of water while dumping rain to flood the low-lying coast in Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and the Florida Panhandle." Isaac's landfall will likely coincide with the seven-year anniversary of Hurricane Katrina, which devastated Louisiana on Aug. 29, 2005.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' 'white Santa' claim
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How the budget deal could pave the way for immigration reform
- How John Boehner learned to stop worrying and hate the Tea Party
- 10 things you need to know today: December 13, 2013
- The Black Death is back
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- What one thing can determine whether or not you're successful in life?
Subscribe to the Week