OOD DAY FOR:
Women enraged over Bic's sexist "For Her" pens mock the company by flooding the product's Amazon listing with sardonic reviews. [Business Insider]
Researchers declare that this year's drought will likely make for extra colorful fall foliage in the Northeast, as low levels of rain lead to an early retreat of chlorophyll, which turns leaves green. [Discovery News]
Defiling the instrument that incarcerated you
A New Zealand man taken into custody for failing a breathalyzer test allegedly urinates into a box of breath screening tubes at the police station. [Huffington Post]
BAD DAY FOR:
Scientists warn that if we want to conserve water and satisfactorily feed the world's increasing population, we will have to drastically cut our consumption of "animal-based products" by 2050. [Newser]
A new study finds that teenagers who regularly smoke marijuana before the age of 18 experience a small but significant drop in IQ. [HyperVocal]
Proving that Bigfoot lives
A Montana man who dressed as Bigfoot to stage a Sasquatch sighting is struck and killed by a car on the freeway. [Death & Taxes]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 27, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- SNL tackles Vladimir Putin's Ukraine invasion, politically and personally
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week