Yosemite National Park officials are warning that up to 1,700 visitors may have been exposed to a potentially fatal rodent-borne illness while staying at the renowned California park. Two tourists who were staying at the popular camping area Curry Village have died from the rare respiratory disease, called hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. Park officials, who are calling the outbreak "unprecedented," are encouraging visitors who stayed in Curry Village to be aware of flu-like symptoms. The virus, carried by infected mice, kills more than one-third of those infected.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week