GOOD DAY FOR:
A new study finds that running, walking, or cycling, even for a short period of time, can acutely ease cigarette cravings. [Discovery News]
A tourist in Iceland spends the weekend searching for a missing woman... only to discover that she was the woman everyone was looking for. [Gawker]
A student is carried to safety by a few good Samaritans after she faints onto the subway tracks in New York City [New York]
BAD DAY FOR:
After the smashing success of its Doritos Locos tacos, Taco Bell plans to make the fast-food snack available in more flavors, including Cool Ranch. [Consumerist]
A boy sues his orthodontist after his braces are unnecessarily left on for 11 years. [TIME]
Giving Flipper a break
Dolphins in Hawaii suffer sleep deprivation as tourists flood the islands demanding a dolphin show. [LiveScience]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 28, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Ban PowerPoint!
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week