he Commerce Department on Wednesday reported that gross domestic product (GDP) grew at an annual rate of 1.7 percent in the second quarter, up from its initial projection of 1.5 percent. While the upward revision was welcomed, the economy is still growing at too slow a pace to bring down the unemployment rate, which was 8.3 percent in July. Economists expect only a modest improvement for the second half of 2012.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- How Captain America won over China
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- When will the Big One strike California?
Subscribe to the Week