GOOD DAY FOR:
A Dayton, Ohio, man is robbed at gunpoint at a bus stop, but the thieves give him back $2 — enough for bus fare — before fleeing. [Consumerist]
Taylor Swift promoters set up a contest promising that the young songstress will perform at the school that gets the most online votes — only to have pranksters on 4chan and Reddit skew the results by voting for a school for the deaf. [Newser]
An Italian artist spray-paints a handful of pigeons in the hope that tourists will notice their beauty and stop referring to them as "rats of the sky." [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
A Maryland man inadvertently kills 70,000 chickens when he wanders drunkenly through a chicken farm and flips a switch that disconnects all the power in the coops. [Death & Taxes]
Defensive pizza lovers
A Floridian is taken into custody after he reportedly punches a pizza delivery man in the face for forgetting his garlic knots. [Gawker]
Devoted guidos and guidettes
MTV announces that the next season of Jersey Shore will be its last. [Videogum]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 29, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week