OOD DAY FOR:
A Dayton, Ohio, man is robbed at gunpoint at a bus stop, but the thieves give him back $2 — enough for bus fare — before fleeing. [Consumerist]
Taylor Swift promoters set up a contest promising that the young songstress will perform at the school that gets the most online votes — only to have pranksters on 4chan and Reddit skew the results by voting for a school for the deaf. [Newser]
An Italian artist spray-paints a handful of pigeons in the hope that tourists will notice their beauty and stop referring to them as "rats of the sky." [The Daily What]
BAD DAY FOR:
A Maryland man inadvertently kills 70,000 chickens when he wanders drunkenly through a chicken farm and flips a switch that disconnects all the power in the coops. [Death & Taxes]
Defensive pizza lovers
A Floridian is taken into custody after he reportedly punches a pizza delivery man in the face for forgetting his garlic knots. [Gawker]
Devoted guidos and guidettes
MTV announces that the next season of Jersey Shore will be its last. [Videogum]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: August 29, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week