Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: A county judge in Texas is warning that the United Nations is plotting to take over America. We asked you what the first new law or edict the U.N. would issue if they assumed control.
THE WINNER: Greece ratified as 51st state.
David Zechiel, Lake Forest, CA
SECOND PLACE: High school education required for county judge position.
Sharon LaDuke, Bountiful, UT
THIRD PLACE: No mocking the French.
Tim Spadoni, Niles, IL
State of Texas to be returned to Mexico.
Gerry Devaney, St. Paul, MN
Every male inhabitant of Texas must wear a beret.
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TN
All future Presidents must be born outside the U.S.A.
Michael D. Whitehead, Brighton, MI
State declared resettlement area for Syrian refugees.
Joseph Neuschatz, Port Jefferson, NY
Forget the Alamo!
Al Richter, San Antonio, TX
Amnesty for all New York City parking tickets granted to U.N. personnel, their family and friends.
Edward Kutch, Pasadena, CA
Supersized soft drinks reduced to demitasse cups.
Barbara Romano, Austin, TX
No more "America's Got Talent!" reruns.
Rodger Butler, Kingsport, TN
Flag lapel pins banned.
Hubert B. Herring, Dobbs Ferry, NY
All shower curtains must be placed inside the bathtubs.
June C. Famelos, Tulalip, WA
The hamburger is returned to Europe, its origin.
Richard Kimball, Franklin, NC
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week