elcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's question: A county judge in Texas is warning that the United Nations is plotting to take over America. We asked you what the first new law or edict the U.N. would issue if they assumed control.
THE WINNER: Greece ratified as 51st state.
David Zechiel, Lake Forest, CA
SECOND PLACE: High school education required for county judge position.
Sharon LaDuke, Bountiful, UT
THIRD PLACE: No mocking the French.
Tim Spadoni, Niles, IL
State of Texas to be returned to Mexico.
Gerry Devaney, St. Paul, MN
Every male inhabitant of Texas must wear a beret.
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TN
All future Presidents must be born outside the U.S.A.
Michael D. Whitehead, Brighton, MI
State declared resettlement area for Syrian refugees.
Joseph Neuschatz, Port Jefferson, NY
Forget the Alamo!
Al Richter, San Antonio, TX
Amnesty for all New York City parking tickets granted to U.N. personnel, their family and friends.
Edward Kutch, Pasadena, CA
Supersized soft drinks reduced to demitasse cups.
Barbara Romano, Austin, TX
No more "America's Got Talent!" reruns.
Rodger Butler, Kingsport, TN
Flag lapel pins banned.
Hubert B. Herring, Dobbs Ferry, NY
All shower curtains must be placed inside the bathtubs.
June C. Famelos, Tulalip, WA
The hamburger is returned to Europe, its origin.
Richard Kimball, Franklin, NC
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- Science: Cuddling is key to a committed and loving relationship
- How the strange case of Obama's Uncle Omar complicates immigration reform
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
Subscribe to the Week