Hollywood conservative Clint Eastwood gave a rather puzzling speech at the Republican National Convention on Thursday night, questioning an imaginary Barack Obama symbolized by an empty chair next to the podium. The so-called "mystery" guest ripped the president on a variety of subjects, from America's high unemployment to Guantanamo to the war in Afghanistan. The octogenarian actor at one point turned to chair and said, "I'm not going to shut up. It's my turn."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week