suicide bomber has killed at least 20 civilians and injured some three dozen more at a funeral for a village elder in the Dur Baba district of Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan. Authorities say the attacker, who had explosives strapped to his body, was targeting a district governor, who was among the mourners. The governor, Hamesha Gul, survived and is in the hospital, though his son and brother were reportedly killed in the attack.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week