A suicide bomber has killed at least 20 civilians and injured some three dozen more at a funeral for a village elder in the Dur Baba district of Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan. Authorities say the attacker, who had explosives strapped to his body, was targeting a district governor, who was among the mourners. The governor, Hamesha Gul, survived and is in the hospital, though his son and brother were reportedly killed in the attack.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week