A suicide bomber has killed at least 20 civilians and injured some three dozen more at a funeral for a village elder in the Dur Baba district of Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan. Authorities say the attacker, who had explosives strapped to his body, was targeting a district governor, who was among the mourners. The governor, Hamesha Gul, survived and is in the hospital, though his son and brother were reportedly killed in the attack.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 11 facts yü should know about the umlaut
Subscribe to the Week