A suicide bomber has killed at least 20 civilians and injured some three dozen more at a funeral for a village elder in the Dur Baba district of Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan. Authorities say the attacker, who had explosives strapped to his body, was targeting a district governor, who was among the mourners. The governor, Hamesha Gul, survived and is in the hospital, though his son and brother were reportedly killed in the attack.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Dick Cheney's America is an ugly place
- The Hobbit: A disappointing set of movies, but a worthy set of prequels
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- America is building a Sunni army in Iraq to take on the Islamic State
- The age of miracles is over — even for the religious
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- Diagnosing Die Hard's craziest injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
Subscribe to the Week