A suicide bomber has killed at least 20 civilians and injured some three dozen more at a funeral for a village elder in the Dur Baba district of Nangarhar province in eastern Afghanistan. Authorities say the attacker, who had explosives strapped to his body, was targeting a district governor, who was among the mourners. The governor, Hamesha Gul, survived and is in the hospital, though his son and brother were reportedly killed in the attack.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- How Rand Paul's GOP opponents will use his minority outreach against him
Subscribe to the Week