he Treasury Department said Tuesday that the national debt has now reached $16 trillion, or about $50,000 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. The benchmark prompted a flurry of press releases from Republicans slamming President Obama for his fiscal stewardship, just as the Democrats kicked off their national convention. Obama has added about $4 trillion to the pile of debt incurred by his predecessor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- The wrongheaded law that's making your food less safe
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week