he Treasury Department said Tuesday that the national debt has now reached $16 trillion, or about $50,000 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. The benchmark prompted a flurry of press releases from Republicans slamming President Obama for his fiscal stewardship, just as the Democrats kicked off their national convention. Obama has added about $4 trillion to the pile of debt incurred by his predecessor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
Subscribe to the Week