The Treasury Department said Tuesday that the national debt has now reached $16 trillion, or about $50,000 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. The benchmark prompted a flurry of press releases from Republicans slamming President Obama for his fiscal stewardship, just as the Democrats kicked off their national convention. Obama has added about $4 trillion to the pile of debt incurred by his predecessor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- How America's broken immigration system is failing the military
Subscribe to the Week