he Treasury Department said Tuesday that the national debt has now reached $16 trillion, or about $50,000 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. The benchmark prompted a flurry of press releases from Republicans slamming President Obama for his fiscal stewardship, just as the Democrats kicked off their national convention. Obama has added about $4 trillion to the pile of debt incurred by his predecessor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Repealing ObamaCare would now mean kicking 4.2 million people off their new insurance plans
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show and Judge Andrew Napolitano play 'The Weakest Lincoln'
Subscribe to the Week