The Treasury Department said Tuesday that the national debt has now reached $16 trillion, or about $50,000 for every man, woman, and child in the U.S. The benchmark prompted a flurry of press releases from Republicans slamming President Obama for his fiscal stewardship, just as the Democrats kicked off their national convention. Obama has added about $4 trillion to the pile of debt incurred by his predecessor.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 10 things you need to know today: July 31, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Don't vote for Andrew Cuomo
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week