Some parents will never accept that their kids are gay. Even when they're dead. New York City businessman Frank Mandelbaum set aside a trust fund for his son's child on one condition: That his son, Robert, be "married to the child's mother within six months of the child's birth." The problem? The 47-year-old Robert is already happily married to a spouse who happens to be a man. (Their child was born of a surrogate.) Robert is challenging his father's will as discriminatory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The next pandemic
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week