On the eve of the Labor Department's highly anticipated release of August's jobs report, ADP Employer Services, a firm in New Jersey, said Thursday that the private sector added 201,000 jobs in August. That's well more than the gain of roughly 140,000 jobs that a Bloomberg survey of economists predicts. The Labor Department report will be released at 8:30 a.m. EST on Friday, and is sure to instantly become fodder in the 2012 presidential race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Rise of the machines
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- It's time to kill school picture day
- Why you should absolutely watch this confounding, wonderful World Series
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week