n the eve of the Labor Department's highly anticipated release of August's jobs report, ADP Employer Services, a firm in New Jersey, said Thursday that the private sector added 201,000 jobs in August. That's well more than the gain of roughly 140,000 jobs that a Bloomberg survey of economists predicts. The Labor Department report will be released at 8:30 a.m. EST on Friday, and is sure to instantly become fodder in the 2012 presidential race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week