Retired Illinois police officer Drew Peterson was found guilty Thursday of murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio. The verdict came after five weeks of testimony in which the defense team said Savio's death wasn't a murder at all, but a slip-and-fall accident. The 40-year-old mother of two was found drowned on March 1, 2004, in her dry bathtub in Bolingbrook, Ill. Her death was ruled an accident until 2007 ,when Peterson's 23-year-old fourth wife, Stacey Peterson, disappeared. Savio's body was exhumed and her death ruled a homicide. Peterson, for his part, showed no emotion as the verdict was read. Sentencing has been set for Nov. 26.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How I lost all my money
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- George W. Bush 'ran the country like a cable network,' and other political insights from Chris Rock
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to make the ultimate grilled cheese
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week