etired Illinois police officer Drew Peterson was found guilty Thursday of murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio. The verdict came after five weeks of testimony in which the defense team said Savio's death wasn't a murder at all, but a slip-and-fall accident. The 40-year-old mother of two was found drowned on March 1, 2004, in her dry bathtub in Bolingbrook, Ill. Her death was ruled an accident until 2007 ,when Peterson's 23-year-old fourth wife, Stacey Peterson, disappeared. Savio's body was exhumed and her death ruled a homicide. Peterson, for his part, showed no emotion as the verdict was read. Sentencing has been set for Nov. 26.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Mindy Kaling — not Lena Dunham — is the body positive icon of the moment
- Why we need a maximum wage
Subscribe to the Week