etired Illinois police officer Drew Peterson was found guilty Thursday of murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio. The verdict came after five weeks of testimony in which the defense team said Savio's death wasn't a murder at all, but a slip-and-fall accident. The 40-year-old mother of two was found drowned on March 1, 2004, in her dry bathtub in Bolingbrook, Ill. Her death was ruled an accident until 2007 ,when Peterson's 23-year-old fourth wife, Stacey Peterson, disappeared. Savio's body was exhumed and her death ruled a homicide. Peterson, for his part, showed no emotion as the verdict was read. Sentencing has been set for Nov. 26.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week