Retired Illinois police officer Drew Peterson was found guilty Thursday of murdering his third wife, Kathleen Savio. The verdict came after five weeks of testimony in which the defense team said Savio's death wasn't a murder at all, but a slip-and-fall accident. The 40-year-old mother of two was found drowned on March 1, 2004, in her dry bathtub in Bolingbrook, Ill. Her death was ruled an accident until 2007 ,when Peterson's 23-year-old fourth wife, Stacey Peterson, disappeared. Savio's body was exhumed and her death ruled a homicide. Peterson, for his part, showed no emotion as the verdict was read. Sentencing has been set for Nov. 26.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week