n one of the most emotionally charged moments of the Democratic National Convention, former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords (D-Ariz.) brought the Democratic delegates to their feet on Thursday, and often to tears, by leading the pledge of allegiance. Giffords, who is still recovering from her near-fatal 2011 gunshot wound to the head, walked across the stage without assistance and recited the pledge in a clear, somewhat halting voice. Giffords resigned her seat in January to focus on healing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week