GOOD DAY FOR:
Speed demon cowboys
A new stretch of Texas highway will have the highest speed limit in the U.S. — 85 mph — when it opens in November. [Business Insider]
Madonna is photographed with a large "OBAMA" tattoo on her lower back. [BuzzFeed]
A Maryland school nixes formal homework, and instead just encourages kids to read a book every night. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
Monetary magic tricks
A Massachusetts magic store owner is sentenced to prison for credit card fraud after making more than $560,000 disappear from a longtime customer's bank account. [AP]
A California woman's beagle surprises the community when it comes home with a human foot in its mouth. [CBS]
An angry Ottawa restaurant owner creates a fake sex site profile for a patron who posted a negative online review of the eatery. [Gawker]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: September 6, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week