GOOD DAY FOR:
Speed demon cowboys
A new stretch of Texas highway will have the highest speed limit in the U.S. — 85 mph — when it opens in November. [Business Insider]
Madonna is photographed with a large "OBAMA" tattoo on her lower back. [BuzzFeed]
A Maryland school nixes formal homework, and instead just encourages kids to read a book every night. [Newser]
BAD DAY FOR:
Monetary magic tricks
A Massachusetts magic store owner is sentenced to prison for credit card fraud after making more than $560,000 disappear from a longtime customer's bank account. [AP]
A California woman's beagle surprises the community when it comes home with a human foot in its mouth. [CBS]
An angry Ottawa restaurant owner creates a fake sex site profile for a patron who posted a negative online review of the eatery. [Gawker]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: September 6, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week