renton Mayor Tony Mack, his brother Ralphiel Mack, and Mack supporter Joseph Giorgianni were arrested Monday morning as part of an FBI corruption investigation. According to the feds: The mayor, known to have financial problems, told undercover agents that he'd use his official power and influence to help a developer with a proposed parking garage project. (The garage was made up as part of the sting.) The trio of defendants allegedly received $54,000 from the developer, who was cooperating with the FBI, and expected to get another $65,000. At one point, Giorgianni was caught on tape saying, "One thing about the Mack administration — when I say that, it's me and Mack — we're not greedy. We're corruptible. We want anybody to make a buck."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- The 6-year-old who woke up from a coma with a different personality
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Captain America won over China
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week