OOD DAY FOR:
Banking on bacon
A man embarks on an ambitious cross-country road trip in which he will barter with bacon in exchange for food, fuel, and shelter — all as part of an Oscar Mayer publicity stunt. [The New York Times]
A Swedish company classes up its boxed wine by designing the box in the shape of a handbag that includes a strap for easy carrying. [The Frisky]
Going behind the music
Nicki Minaj — who recently rapped that she's a "Republican, voting for Mitt Romney" — thanks President Obama for understanding her "creative humor and sarcasm" after he suggests that she's not really a conservative. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
The Buckeye State
A full 15 percent of Republicans in Ohio say Mitt Romney is more responsible than President Obama for the death of Osama bin Laden. Another 47 percent aren't sure who deserves more credit. [Salon]
A Virginia woman pays $7 at a flea market for a box of old toys, which unexpectedly includes a Renoir painting that had been missing since 1926, and could sell for more than $75,000 at auction. [Discovery News]
The reality of reality TV
A crew member helping to clean out a house on TLC's Hoarders: Buried Alive contracts hantavirus, the same deadly disease that has killed three people at Yosemite National Park. [Consumerist]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: September 7, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 18, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week