Egyptian protesters on Tuesday scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy in Cairo, taking down the American flag and replacing it with a black banner that sang the glories of Allah and the Prophet Muhammad. The protesters had been enraged by an anti-Muslim movie that had been disseminated on YouTube by an Egyptian Christian who reportedly lives in the U.S. The video, which features Muhammad having sex with women and other heresies, had received heavy play in the Egyptian media. U.S. officials said they were working with the Egyptian government to restore order.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
Subscribe to the Week