Egyptian protesters on Tuesday scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy in Cairo, taking down the American flag and replacing it with a black banner that sang the glories of Allah and the Prophet Muhammad. The protesters had been enraged by an anti-Muslim movie that had been disseminated on YouTube by an Egyptian Christian who reportedly lives in the U.S. The video, which features Muhammad having sex with women and other heresies, had received heavy play in the Egyptian media. U.S. officials said they were working with the Egyptian government to restore order.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
Subscribe to the Week