Egyptian protesters on Tuesday scaled the walls of the U.S. embassy in Cairo, taking down the American flag and replacing it with a black banner that sang the glories of Allah and the Prophet Muhammad. The protesters had been enraged by an anti-Muslim movie that had been disseminated on YouTube by an Egyptian Christian who reportedly lives in the U.S. The video, which features Muhammad having sex with women and other heresies, had received heavy play in the Egyptian media. U.S. officials said they were working with the Egyptian government to restore order.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- How to be a moral internet citizen on the often-immoral internet
Subscribe to the Week