Welcome to The Week's "What Next?" contest, an invitation to test your powers of imagination with challenges inspired by current events.
Last week's contest: A fisherman from Scotland retrieved a message in a bottle set adrift in 1914 — the oldest bottle message ever found. We wondered what message would you want to put in a bottle today for people to read 98 years from now?
THE WINNER: DMV #416. Please see if they are close.
Cary J. Frick, Park Ridge, IL
SECOND PLACE: Thank you for paying our national debt!
Beverly Fleming, North Olmstead, OH
THIRD PLACE: Sorry it's so hot...
Charles & Mary Parry, Catonsville, MD
å–‚!å“ˆé”£![ç”µè¯]å–‚å–‚ (Hello in Chinese)
Dan Jensen, Austin, TX
If possible, avoid I-95.
Art Rodia, Woodbury, CT
This is your invitation to my 157th birthday party!
Leonard Stegmann, Half Moon Bay, CA
Twitter is down. Enclosed is a picture of my breakfast.
Adam Coti, Edgewater, NJ
The last three digits of the combination, continued from my first bottle, are 16, 29 and 67.
Stephen Dudzik, Olney, MD
Has Congress passed a budget yet?
Joe Horvath, Virginia Beach, VA
How many farewell tours did the Stones do after 2012?
Frank Letchworth, Knoxville, TV
What do the Mayans predict NOW?
Sue LeMontre, San Diego, CA
This is handwriting on paper.
Jim Traub, Cameron Park, CA
Like me on Facebook.
Cynthia Gance, Morehead City, NC
Does the iPad 84 support Flash yet?
Ted Ridgway, Sacramento, CA
All we are saying is: Give peace a chance.
Betsy Anderson, Santa Rosa, CA
Do you have time machines yet? If so, come say hi!
Christian Grantz, Redondo Beach, CA
In case they forgot about me, please call the cryogenics storage facility at 1-800…
David Nordstrom, San Antonio, TX
My DNA sample is enclosed. Bring me back. DON’T bring me back if you want REVENGE.
Richard Linden, Murrieta, CA
Put this bottle to your mouth and inhale. This is the air we breathed in 2012.
Philip Barnett, Scottsdale, AZ
It was Bush's fault.
Paul Binder, Bellevue, WA
It was all Obama’s fault.
Gene Anderson, Wilmington, NC
Don't lose faith, Cubs fans!
Deborah Lain, Westtown, NY
Help! I'm being arrested for drinking soda from this 24 oz bottle in New York City!
Anthony R. Yorio, Powder Springs, GA
Barry Cutler, Palm Desert, CA
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week