Protesters enraged by an anti-Islam film stormed the U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Thursday. Hundreds of rioters yelled "death to America" as they reached the compound grounds and breached security, though they were not able to enter the main offices. Protesters took down the U.S. flag and replaced it with a banner declaring "There is no God but Allah." Outside the grounds, the demonstrators took down the embassy's sign, set tires on fire, and threw rocks at the compound. The attack comes the same week that protesters swarmed the U.S. embassies in Libya and Egypt, resulting in America's ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens' death.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 5 legitimate scientific controversies
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why I got married — without a wedding
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Why the Rubio-Lee tax plan is great politics — and great policy
- How to improve your workplace culture
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- 10 things you need to know today: October 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week