Protesters enraged by an anti-Islam film stormed the U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Thursday. Hundreds of rioters yelled "death to America" as they reached the compound grounds and breached security, though they were not able to enter the main offices. Protesters took down the U.S. flag and replaced it with a banner declaring "There is no God but Allah." Outside the grounds, the demonstrators took down the embassy's sign, set tires on fire, and threw rocks at the compound. The attack comes the same week that protesters swarmed the U.S. embassies in Libya and Egypt, resulting in America's ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens' death.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Pope Francis' American problem
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
- Why torture doesn't work: A definitive guide
Subscribe to the Week