Protesters enraged by an anti-Islam film stormed the U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Thursday. Hundreds of rioters yelled "death to America" as they reached the compound grounds and breached security, though they were not able to enter the main offices. Protesters took down the U.S. flag and replaced it with a banner declaring "There is no God but Allah." Outside the grounds, the demonstrators took down the embassy's sign, set tires on fire, and threw rocks at the compound. The attack comes the same week that protesters swarmed the U.S. embassies in Libya and Egypt, resulting in America's ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens' death.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to be the star of a cocktail party where you don't know anyone
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The Tea Party has its own immigration problem: Cuba
Subscribe to the Week