Protesters enraged by an anti-Islam film stormed the U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Thursday. Hundreds of rioters yelled "death to America" as they reached the compound grounds and breached security, though they were not able to enter the main offices. Protesters took down the U.S. flag and replaced it with a banner declaring "There is no God but Allah." Outside the grounds, the demonstrators took down the embassy's sign, set tires on fire, and threw rocks at the compound. The attack comes the same week that protesters swarmed the U.S. embassies in Libya and Egypt, resulting in America's ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens' death.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Ann Coulter and atheist Richard Dawkins have in common
- 6 constitutional amendments that just missed the cut
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
Subscribe to the Week