Protesters enraged by an anti-Islam film stormed the U.S. Embassy in Yemen on Thursday. Hundreds of rioters yelled "death to America" as they reached the compound grounds and breached security, though they were not able to enter the main offices. Protesters took down the U.S. flag and replaced it with a banner declaring "There is no God but Allah." Outside the grounds, the demonstrators took down the embassy's sign, set tires on fire, and threw rocks at the compound. The attack comes the same week that protesters swarmed the U.S. embassies in Libya and Egypt, resulting in America's ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens' death.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- Why you shouldn't eat dog. Not even once.
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Why Israel can no longer let the Palestinian Authority be responsible for security in the West Bank
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Grammar quiz: Do you know the passive voice?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How social conservatives became a minority in need of protection
Subscribe to the Week