President Obama's been hitting a lot of sports bars lately, quaffing beers to burnish his regular-guy appeal. He even released the White House beer recipe to remind the suds-loving masses that he brews his own beer. Since none of this is an option for Mitt Romney — a devout Mormon whose religion bars him from boozing — has Obama decided that beer is his secret weapon to win over the white-guy voters both he and Romney covet?
Downing cold ones helps Obama immensely: Obama's likeability is buoying his campaign — he's the candidate Americans want to have a beer with, says David Freedlander at The Daily Beast. And he's exploiting his "alcohol advantage" by "bellying up to the nearest bar and ordering a cold one" to "peel off white male voters" from Romney. Bonus: Since this male-bonding ritual is off-limits to Romney, it highlights Mitt's "weirdness" without directly attacking his Mormonism.
"Will Obama's campaign-trail bar crawl leave Mitt Romney staggering?"
Romney is going after regular guys, too: Mitt isn't ceding this ground to Obama, says Peter Nicholas at The Wall Street Journal. In lieu of chugging Budweisers, he recently burnished his regular-guy cred by passing out hot dogs to NASCAR fans. And Obama's beer blitz has its awkward moments — Harvard-educated Nobel Peace Prize winners don't exactly blend in at working-class watering holes. Even Obama staffers admit "that he doesn't always look comfortable with a beer in his hand; he has been known to prefer martinis."
"Now appearing, regular guys"
Regular, schmegular. Obama just needs to win over craft-beer drinkers: Obama doesn't need to convince people he's an unlikely Joe Six-pack, says Don Russell at the Philadelphia Daily News. Joe Microbrew will do. The nation's craft-beer drinkers are overwhelmingly white and male, they evince a certain "open-minded attitude," and they're concentrated in 25 largely urban states with lots of breweries — and electoral votes. "Forget soccer moms and NASCAR dads." This year's election could go to the candidate who takes the craft-beer drinker vote.
"Craft-beer drinkers to decide election"
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
- Paul Ryan's anti-poverty plan is another sign of life in the GOP
Subscribe to the Week