.S. stock markets on Thursday soared to multi-year highs after the Federal Reserve announced aggressive new monetary stimulus measures to bolster the flagging economy. The Dow Jones Industrial Average climbed 206.51 points, or 1.55 percent, to close at 13,539.86, while the larger S&P 500 index surged 23.43 points, or 1.63 percent, to end the day at 1,459.99. Both the Dow and the S&P 500 closed at their highest levels since December 2007.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- 10 things you need to know today: April 20, 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The ugly economics of chicken
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week