rench magazine Closer is coming under fire for publishing photos of Britain's Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, sunbathing topless on a balcony while on vacation with Prince William in southern France. A St. James's Palace Official released a statement condemning the release of the images. "Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them." The palace charged that this incident was reminiscent of "the worst excesses" of paparazzi who followed Princess Diana, and were largely blamed for her death in a car crash. The publication of the photos come as the royal family tries to move on from naked photos that recently surfaced of Prince Harry partying in Las Vegas.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Time Warner Cable is raising your monthly rate again
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why is the 'mor' in 'Voldemort' so evil-sounding?
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- The wrongheaded law that's making your food less safe
- America's love-hate relationship with porn
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week