rench magazine Closer is coming under fire for publishing photos of Britain's Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, sunbathing topless on a balcony while on vacation with Prince William in southern France. A St. James's Palace Official released a statement condemning the release of the images. "Their Royal Highnesses had every expectation of privacy in the remote house. It is unthinkable that anyone should take such photographs, let alone publish them." The palace charged that this incident was reminiscent of "the worst excesses" of paparazzi who followed Princess Diana, and were largely blamed for her death in a car crash. The publication of the photos come as the royal family tries to move on from naked photos that recently surfaced of Prince Harry partying in Las Vegas.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week