Apparently, Mitt Romney likes Jersey Shore. I'm "kind of a Snooki fan," Romney said during a Friday taping of Live! with Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan. (The segment will air Tuesday.) In an apparent attempt to "show his softer side to women voters — a group with which he is struggling to connect" — Romney said of Snooki: "Look how tiny she's gotten. She's lost weight. She's energetic. Just her spark-plug personality is kind of fun." Another seemingly odd moment: Questioned about what he wears to bed, the Republican Party's nominee for president said, "I hear the best answer is as little as possible." Predictably, critics immediately pounced on these seemingly odd comments. Coming "at a moment of international crisis, when U.S. embassies in the Middle East were being beset by anti-American protests, the television interview brought shudders from some Republicans," say Karen Tumulty and Philip Rucker at The Washington Post. These Republicans reportedly "fear the Romney campaign is running aground in its final stretch."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Bob Odenkirk's 6 favorite books
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week