pparently, Mitt Romney likes Jersey Shore. I'm "kind of a Snooki fan," Romney said during a Friday taping of Live! with Kelly Ripa and Michael Strahan. (The segment will air Tuesday.) In an apparent attempt to "show his softer side to women voters — a group with which he is struggling to connect" — Romney said of Snooki: "Look how tiny she's gotten. She's lost weight. She's energetic. Just her spark-plug personality is kind of fun." Another seemingly odd moment: Questioned about what he wears to bed, the Republican Party's nominee for president said, "I hear the best answer is as little as possible." Predictably, critics immediately pounced on these seemingly odd comments. Coming "at a moment of international crisis, when U.S. embassies in the Middle East were being beset by anti-American protests, the television interview brought shudders from some Republicans," say Karen Tumulty and Philip Rucker at The Washington Post. These Republicans reportedly "fear the Romney campaign is running aground in its final stretch."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week