he NHL has officially locked out its players after failing to reach a new collective bargaining agreement. At the heart of the dispute is how league revenue will be split between players and team owners. This is the embattled league's fourth work stoppage since 1993. No negotiations took place Saturday and there are no talks planned, raising concerns that the season won't start on its scheduled day of Oct. 11. Training camps were scheduled to open next Friday.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week