n Monday, a video surfaced of Mitt Romney privately telling a small group of donors that President Obama's supporters are "dependent on the government." According to the footage, which was reportedly taken shortly after Romney clinched the Republican nomination in the spring, Romney told a fundraiser that "47 percent" of the country would support Obama "no matter what," because they are "dependent on government, believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it." Romney appeared to be referring to the 47 percent of Americans who don't pay taxes on their income, a group largely comprised of seniors on Social Security, students, the disabled, and the poor. Jim Messina, an Obama campaign aide, responded, "It’s hard to serve as president for all Americans when you’ve disdainfully written off half the nation."
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- 4 secret societies you probably don't know about
- The secrets of happy families
- Battle in a blizzard
- This is the twistiest tongue twister ever, says science
- Did God have a wife?
- How to stick it to the poor: A congressional strategy
- Why Newt Gingrich is getting flak for defending Nelson Mandela
- Would you cuddle a stranger for $80 an hour?
- 7 strange things found in people's stomachs [Updated]
Subscribe to the Week