n Monday, a video surfaced of Mitt Romney privately telling a small group of donors that President Obama's supporters are "dependent on the government." According to the footage, which was reportedly taken shortly after Romney clinched the Republican nomination in the spring, Romney told a fundraiser that "47 percent" of the country would support Obama "no matter what," because they are "dependent on government, believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it." Romney appeared to be referring to the 47 percent of Americans who don't pay taxes on their income, a group largely comprised of seniors on Social Security, students, the disabled, and the poor. Jim Messina, an Obama campaign aide, responded, "It’s hard to serve as president for all Americans when you’ve disdainfully written off half the nation."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
Subscribe to the Week