n Monday, a video surfaced of Mitt Romney privately telling a small group of donors that President Obama's supporters are "dependent on the government." According to the footage, which was reportedly taken shortly after Romney clinched the Republican nomination in the spring, Romney told a fundraiser that "47 percent" of the country would support Obama "no matter what," because they are "dependent on government, believe they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them, who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing, to you-name-it." Romney appeared to be referring to the 47 percent of Americans who don't pay taxes on their income, a group largely comprised of seniors on Social Security, students, the disabled, and the poor. Jim Messina, an Obama campaign aide, responded, "It’s hard to serve as president for all Americans when you’ve disdainfully written off half the nation."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
5 surprising facts about left-handed people
Subscribe to the Week