hicago teachers are "poring over the details" of a proposed contract that would end a strike that has kept 350,000 students out of class since last week. Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who wants to judge teachers based on students' performance on standardized tests, took the matter to court on Monday. A judge has called a hearing for Wednesday to rule on the city's request for an injunction mandating that teachers return to work, contract or no.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week