hicago teachers are "poring over the details" of a proposed contract that would end a strike that has kept 350,000 students out of class since last week. Mayor Rahm Emanuel, who wants to judge teachers based on students' performance on standardized tests, took the matter to court on Monday. A judge has called a hearing for Wednesday to rule on the city's request for an injunction mandating that teachers return to work, contract or no.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week