During a Monday night press conference, Mitt Romney raced to defend the damaging remarks he made in a secret video leaked by liberal magazine Mother Jones. ("There are 47 percent who are with [Obama]," Romney says in the video, "who are dependent upon government, who believe that they are victims, who believe the government has a responsibility to care for them... [M]y job is is not to worry about those people.") In his damage-control presser, the Republican said that though his comments were hardly "elegantly stated," he stands by the basic premise behind his speech. Romney also requested that the group that leaked the clip release the full video so that voters can understand the context. Mother Jones has agreed to do so.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week