Syrian rebels seized control of a border crossing with Turkey on Wednesday, tearing down the Syrian flag and sending a stream of ecstatic people into the neighboring country. It is not clear if the rebels, who want to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, took control of the entire Tel Abyad border gate — which would help the rebels bring supplies into Syria — and it's possible Assad could send military reinforcement anytime to retake the territory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- Blame Obama and U.S. evangelicals for the persecution of Iraqi Christians
- The militarization of America’s police
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
Subscribe to the Week