Syrian rebels seized control of a border crossing with Turkey on Wednesday, tearing down the Syrian flag and sending a stream of ecstatic people into the neighboring country. It is not clear if the rebels, who want to overthrow Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, took control of the entire Tel Abyad border gate — which would help the rebels bring supplies into Syria — and it's possible Assad could send military reinforcement anytime to retake the territory.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
Subscribe to the Week