A top U.S. counterterrorism official told Congress on Wednesday that the assault on the U.S. consulate in Benghazi last week, which left four Americans dead, was a "terrorist attack" with a possible al Qaeda connection. Whether perpetrators planned in advance to attack on Sept. 11 is still being probed, said Matthew Olsen, director of the National Counterterrorism Center. Democrats and Republicans have been disputing whether the siege was premeditated.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- Secret Service stretched mission to protect employee, report finds
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 10 things you need to know today: October 22, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to make corn dogs
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week