GOOD DAY FOR:
Getting the West Wing vote
A Michigan Supreme Court candidate whose sister appeared on 48 episodes of The West Wing somehow convinces the show's cast to reunite for her campaign ad. [The Daily What]
After Stephen Colbert ridicules USA Today's confounding new logo design, America's newspaper needles the comedian by printing a logo featuring Spongebob Squarepants in the Pentagon with a Dorito — a reference to a joke Colbert made on the show. [HyperVocal]
Channeling your inner Steve Irwin
A Florida grandfather living in a retirement community saves his terrier's life by literally wrestling the dog free from the jaws of an alligator. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
A verbal altercation between two flight attendants delays a flight bound for Washington, D.C., for four hours. [Gothamist]
Vegan coffee fiends
Vegans and other soy milk enthusiasts are up in arms after Starbucks starts charging rewards program members for soy milk and syrup — extras that were once free. [Business Insider]
Citing the freedom of speech, a judge rules that 10 New York subway stations must display ads bearing offensive, anti-Muslim messages. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: September 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- How to make corn dogs
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week