OOD DAY FOR:
Getting the West Wing vote
A Michigan Supreme Court candidate whose sister appeared on 48 episodes of The West Wing somehow convinces the show's cast to reunite for her campaign ad. [The Daily What]
After Stephen Colbert ridicules USA Today's confounding new logo design, America's newspaper needles the comedian by printing a logo featuring Spongebob Squarepants in the Pentagon with a Dorito — a reference to a joke Colbert made on the show. [HyperVocal]
Channeling your inner Steve Irwin
A Florida grandfather living in a retirement community saves his terrier's life by literally wrestling the dog free from the jaws of an alligator. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
A verbal altercation between two flight attendants delays a flight bound for Washington, D.C., for four hours. [Gothamist]
Vegan coffee fiends
Vegans and other soy milk enthusiasts are up in arms after Starbucks starts charging rewards program members for soy milk and syrup — extras that were once free. [Business Insider]
Citing the freedom of speech, a judge rules that 10 New York subway stations must display ads bearing offensive, anti-Muslim messages. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: September 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week