GOOD DAY FOR:
Getting the West Wing vote
A Michigan Supreme Court candidate whose sister appeared on 48 episodes of The West Wing somehow convinces the show's cast to reunite for her campaign ad. [The Daily What]
After Stephen Colbert ridicules USA Today's confounding new logo design, America's newspaper needles the comedian by printing a logo featuring Spongebob Squarepants in the Pentagon with a Dorito — a reference to a joke Colbert made on the show. [HyperVocal]
Channeling your inner Steve Irwin
A Florida grandfather living in a retirement community saves his terrier's life by literally wrestling the dog free from the jaws of an alligator. [Death & Taxes]
BAD DAY FOR:
A verbal altercation between two flight attendants delays a flight bound for Washington, D.C., for four hours. [Gothamist]
Vegan coffee fiends
Vegans and other soy milk enthusiasts are up in arms after Starbucks starts charging rewards program members for soy milk and syrup — extras that were once free. [Business Insider]
Citing the freedom of speech, a judge rules that 10 New York subway stations must display ads bearing offensive, anti-Muslim messages. [Newser]
For more winners and losers see: Good day, bad day: September 19, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week