President Obama on Thursday mocked Mitt Romney's now infamous remark that 47 percent of Americans are "dependent on government" and incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. "When you express the attitude that half the country considers themselves victims and wants to be dependent on government, my thinking is that you haven't gotten around a lot," Obama told a forum for Latino voters hosted by Spanish-language channel Univision. Obama also faced tough questioning from host Jorge Ramos on immigration reform. Ramos suggested that Obama had broken his 2008 campaign promise to pass a comprehensive reform bill. Obama rejected the suggestion, saying Republicans in Congress were to blame for blocking progress on the issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The keys to succeeding with a job recruiter
Subscribe to the Week