resident Obama on Thursday mocked Mitt Romney's now infamous remark that 47 percent of Americans are "dependent on government" and incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. "When you express the attitude that half the country considers themselves victims and wants to be dependent on government, my thinking is that you haven't gotten around a lot," Obama told a forum for Latino voters hosted by Spanish-language channel Univision. Obama also faced tough questioning from host Jorge Ramos on immigration reform. Ramos suggested that Obama had broken his 2008 campaign promise to pass a comprehensive reform bill. Obama rejected the suggestion, saying Republicans in Congress were to blame for blocking progress on the issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week