President Obama on Thursday mocked Mitt Romney's now infamous remark that 47 percent of Americans are "dependent on government" and incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. "When you express the attitude that half the country considers themselves victims and wants to be dependent on government, my thinking is that you haven't gotten around a lot," Obama told a forum for Latino voters hosted by Spanish-language channel Univision. Obama also faced tough questioning from host Jorge Ramos on immigration reform. Ramos suggested that Obama had broken his 2008 campaign promise to pass a comprehensive reform bill. Obama rejected the suggestion, saying Republicans in Congress were to blame for blocking progress on the issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week