President Obama on Thursday mocked Mitt Romney's now infamous remark that 47 percent of Americans are "dependent on government" and incapable of taking responsibility for themselves. "When you express the attitude that half the country considers themselves victims and wants to be dependent on government, my thinking is that you haven't gotten around a lot," Obama told a forum for Latino voters hosted by Spanish-language channel Univision. Obama also faced tough questioning from host Jorge Ramos on immigration reform. Ramos suggested that Obama had broken his 2008 campaign promise to pass a comprehensive reform bill. Obama rejected the suggestion, saying Republicans in Congress were to blame for blocking progress on the issue.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What Keeping Up with the Kardashians can teach America about interracial marriage
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- The real-life events that inspired Game of Thrones' Red Wedding
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
Subscribe to the Week