new wave of violence hit Pakistan on Friday as demonstrators battled with police over the now-infamous anti-Islam video made by a filmmaker in the U.S. The surge comes as Pakistani authorities encouraged peace and declared Friday a "Day of Love for the Prophet Muhammad." In Peshawar, rioters set fire to two cinemas and clashed with police who had to scatter them with tear gas. In Islamabad, protesters torched a toll both. At least five demonstrators were wounded and one killed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 4 easy ways to resolve life's toughest questions
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
Subscribe to the Week