A new wave of violence hit Pakistan on Friday as demonstrators battled with police over the now-infamous anti-Islam video made by a filmmaker in the U.S. The surge comes as Pakistani authorities encouraged peace and declared Friday a "Day of Love for the Prophet Muhammad." In Peshawar, rioters set fire to two cinemas and clashed with police who had to scatter them with tear gas. In Islamabad, protesters torched a toll both. At least five demonstrators were wounded and one killed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Why Halbig and the conservative war on ObamaCare will fail
Subscribe to the Week