new wave of violence hit Pakistan on Friday as demonstrators battled with police over the now-infamous anti-Islam video made by a filmmaker in the U.S. The surge comes as Pakistani authorities encouraged peace and declared Friday a "Day of Love for the Prophet Muhammad." In Peshawar, rioters set fire to two cinemas and clashed with police who had to scatter them with tear gas. In Islamabad, protesters torched a toll both. At least five demonstrators were wounded and one killed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week