epublican vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan on Friday was repeatedly booed at an event in New Orleans hosted by the American Association of Retired Persons. Boos rained down on the congressman from Wisconsin when he reiterated Mitt Romney's pledge to overturn President Obama's overhaul of the health care system. "I had a feeling there would be mixed reactions, so let me get into it," Ryan responded. He was later jeered when he accused Obama of robbing Medicare of $716 billion to pay for ObamaCare, and also when he touted the Republican ticket's plan to augment Medicare with a voucher for private insurance. Obama spoke to the AARP attendees earlier in the day via satellite, and by all accounts enjoyed a warmer reception.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- How Captain America won over China
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week