A top military commander in Iran, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, says his country would launch a preemptive strike on Israel if it was positive the Jewish state were preparing to attack. He added that any assault on Iranian soil could trigger "World War III." The alarming rhetoric comes as the U.S. Senate passed a measure this weekend to continue diplomatic and economic pressure on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad to halt Iran's uranium enrichment programs.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- 4 strategies for organizing your money, based on your personality
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- The amazing resurrection of Mitt Romney
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
Subscribe to the Week