top military commander in Iran, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, says his country would launch a preemptive strike on Israel if it was positive the Jewish state were preparing to attack. He added that any assault on Iranian soil could trigger "World War III." The alarming rhetoric comes as the U.S. Senate passed a measure this weekend to continue diplomatic and economic pressure on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad to halt Iran's uranium enrichment programs.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
Subscribe to the Week