A top military commander in Iran, Amir Ali Hajizadeh, says his country would launch a preemptive strike on Israel if it was positive the Jewish state were preparing to attack. He added that any assault on Iranian soil could trigger "World War III." The alarming rhetoric comes as the U.S. Senate passed a measure this weekend to continue diplomatic and economic pressure on Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad to halt Iran's uranium enrichment programs.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Hey, scolds: Stop telling us to enjoy a healthy Thanksgiving
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
Subscribe to the Week