The NFL's replacement refs continue to court controversy. In one of the most bizarre and eyebrow-raising finishes in recent football history, the Seattle Seahawks beat the Green Bay Packers on Monday night on a Hail Mary touchdown pass that many fans believed was an interception rather than a touchdown. Confusion reigned on the field as the replacement refs struggled to sort through a pile of players and seemed unable to agree with each other on the correct call. Video replays seem to show that a Packers defender had intercepted the ball rather than a Seahawks receiver catching a touchdown. This is just the latest blown call in the young NFL season, in which the real referees have been locked out over a salary dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- Ted Cruz is the new Sarah Palin
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- Bill O'Reilly and Stephen Colbert are accidentally having a serious debate on ISIS
- Why you probably don't have Ebola — even if you shook hands with America's 'patient zero'
Subscribe to the Week