The NFL's replacement refs continue to court controversy. In one of the most bizarre and eyebrow-raising finishes in recent football history, the Seattle Seahawks beat the Green Bay Packers on Monday night on a Hail Mary touchdown pass that many fans believed was an interception rather than a touchdown. Confusion reigned on the field as the replacement refs struggled to sort through a pile of players and seemed unable to agree with each other on the correct call. Video replays seem to show that a Packers defender had intercepted the ball rather than a Seahawks receiver catching a touchdown. This is just the latest blown call in the young NFL season, in which the real referees have been locked out over a salary dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- How to save Meet the Press
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
Subscribe to the Week