The NFL's replacement refs continue to court controversy. In one of the most bizarre and eyebrow-raising finishes in recent football history, the Seattle Seahawks beat the Green Bay Packers on Monday night on a Hail Mary touchdown pass that many fans believed was an interception rather than a touchdown. Confusion reigned on the field as the replacement refs struggled to sort through a pile of players and seemed unable to agree with each other on the correct call. Video replays seem to show that a Packers defender had intercepted the ball rather than a Seahawks receiver catching a touchdown. This is just the latest blown call in the young NFL season, in which the real referees have been locked out over a salary dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Why we gossip, according to science
- Yes, the Obama administration's green loans are unprofitable. They should be.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
Subscribe to the Week