he NFL's replacement refs continue to court controversy. In one of the most bizarre and eyebrow-raising finishes in recent football history, the Seattle Seahawks beat the Green Bay Packers on Monday night on a Hail Mary touchdown pass that many fans believed was an interception rather than a touchdown. Confusion reigned on the field as the replacement refs struggled to sort through a pile of players and seemed unable to agree with each other on the correct call. Video replays seem to show that a Packers defender had intercepted the ball rather than a Seahawks receiver catching a touchdown. This is just the latest blown call in the young NFL season, in which the real referees have been locked out over a salary dispute.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week