hina on Tuesday put its first aircraft carrier into formal service, in response to escalating tensions with Japan over uninhabited islands in the East China Sea. The disputed islands — known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China — are considered relatively unimportant as geo-strategic assets, but they have become symbolically important for nationalist groups in both countries. China said the carrier would significantly bolster the strength of the Chinese navy, but independent analysts say the ship will likely be used for training, testing, and other minor operations.
- There is a better alternative to raising the minimum wage
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 10 things you need to know today: December 8, 2013
- Rick Santorum wins the prize for the worst Nelson Mandela tribute
- 6 grammar points to watch out for in Christmas songs
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- This is how much extra it costs to eat healthy every day
- How I became the heavyweight champion of the world
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week