he Labor Department on Thursday reported that the U.S. economy added 386,000 more jobs between April 2011 and March 2012 than previously reported. The revised data comes at an opportune time for President Obama, allowing him to claim that his administration oversaw a net gain of 125,000 jobs during his first term. When Obama was inaugurated in January 2009, the economy was shedding hundreds of thousands of jobs a month, creating an enormous hole that the labor market has struggled to fill.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
- How conservatives learned to hate Hollywood
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why Easter is so important to Christians
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- When will the Big One strike California?
Subscribe to the Week