With five days left before the first presidential debate, the campaigns for Mitt Romney and President Obama are trying to lower expectations. Romney's senior adviser Beth Myers sent a memo to surrogates on Thursday, writing that President Obama will use his "ample rhetorical gifts" to attack Romney. She continued, "This will be the eighth one-on-one presidential debate of his political career. For Mitt Romney, it will be his first." Team Obama also tried to lower expectations by praising Romney as "quick, polished, and ready with a punchy attack." The debate will take place Oct. 3 at the University of Denver.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 5 tricks to making a mind-blowing burger
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week