It's back to work for the Supreme Court justices. The court goes back to session on Monday after summer recess. The justices will start their day by reexamining a lawsuit alleging complicity in acts of torture against Dutch oil company Shell in Nigeria. Big social issues are expected to be ruled on this year, including one about affirmative action at the University of Texas and possibly same-sex marriage.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 10 things you need to know today: October 30, 2014
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- For Democrats, the right lesson from 2014 is to be more liberal
- Sorry, we will not all be having sex with robots in the future
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How to live a long life, according to science
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- The real lesson of the looming Martha Coakley disaster
Subscribe to the Week