It's back to work for the Supreme Court justices. The court goes back to session on Monday after summer recess. The justices will start their day by reexamining a lawsuit alleging complicity in acts of torture against Dutch oil company Shell in Nigeria. Big social issues are expected to be ruled on this year, including one about affirmative action at the University of Texas and possibly same-sex marriage.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Vox, derp, and the intellectual stagnation of the left
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
Subscribe to the Week