The movie: After a tumultuous filming process and numerous delays, The Lone Ranger is finally set to ride again as a live-action Disney film. A sneak-peek trailer, which debuted on The Tonight Show on Tuesday, offers the first (frustratingly brief) look at The Social Network's Armie Hammer as the Lone Ranger and Johnny Depp as Tonto, his Native American sidekick. (Watch the trailer below). "There come a time, Kemosabe, when good men must wear mask," grunts Depp over a hard-rock soundtrack, in a trailer that's heavy on slow-motion gunplay and light on glimpses of its two stars. The Lone Ranger is the first live-action collaboration between director Gore Verbinski and Depp since the original Pirates of the Caribbean trilogy, and Disney clearly hopes to replicate that success. Does The Lone Ranger look like a hit?
Reactions: Given the raucous soundtrack and murky cinematography, this "won't be the child-friendly Lone Ranger we remember," says Ben Arnold at Yahoo! Movies UK. Maybe not — but it's been a while since Disney has put out a great action movie for any age group, and this sneak peek "doesn't disappoint," says Natalie Finn at E! Online. The film looks "visually stunning," agrees Cole Abaius at Film School Rejects, but did Depp really need to put on a "stereotypical 'Me Wampum Wampum' accent " for the film? Verbinski and Depp should have realized that "a racial depiction from the 1930s wasn't the best thing to keep in a movie for 2013." Watch the trailer here (after a short ad):
(via The Insider)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
Subscribe to the Week