itt Romney opened the presidential debate with a spirited attack on President Obama's handling of the economy and the deficit, prompting many commentators to observe that Romney looked the more prepared of the two candidates. Here, some thoughts from the media:
I think Obama should have practiced some zingers.— Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias) October 4, 2012
Romney has been preparing for this debate since June. It shows.— Sam Youngman (@samyoungman) October 4, 2012
Mitt is totally alpha-rolling Obama right now.— Blake Hounshell (@blakehounshell) October 4, 2012
"You've been president four years." Mitt's zinger practice suddenly seeming a bit less ironic— AdamSerwer (@AdamSerwer) October 4, 2012
Obama doesn't know what he's here tonight to do. Romney does.— davidfrum (@davidfrum) October 4, 2012
So far Mitt has blatantly lied about his plans for taxes and Medicare, but he's sounded good doing it.— AdamSerwer (@AdamSerwer) October 4, 2012
Halfway through the debate Romney and his allies have to feel good. #debates— The Fix (@TheFix) October 4, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week