Mitt Romney opened the presidential debate with a spirited attack on President Obama's handling of the economy and the deficit, prompting many commentators to observe that Romney looked the more prepared of the two candidates. Here, some thoughts from the media:
I think Obama should have practiced some zingers.— Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias) October 4, 2012
Romney has been preparing for this debate since June. It shows.— Sam Youngman (@samyoungman) October 4, 2012
Mitt is totally alpha-rolling Obama right now.— Blake Hounshell (@blakehounshell) October 4, 2012
"You've been president four years." Mitt's zinger practice suddenly seeming a bit less ironic— AdamSerwer (@AdamSerwer) October 4, 2012
Obama doesn't know what he's here tonight to do. Romney does.— davidfrum (@davidfrum) October 4, 2012
So far Mitt has blatantly lied about his plans for taxes and Medicare, but he's sounded good doing it.— AdamSerwer (@AdamSerwer) October 4, 2012
Halfway through the debate Romney and his allies have to feel good. #debates— The Fix (@TheFix) October 4, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Chuck Hagel wasn't the problem. It's America's addiction to endless war.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week