Mitt Romney opened the presidential debate with a spirited attack on President Obama's handling of the economy and the deficit, prompting many commentators to observe that Romney looked the more prepared of the two candidates. Here, some thoughts from the media:
I think Obama should have practiced some zingers.— Matt Yglesias (@mattyglesias) October 4, 2012
Romney has been preparing for this debate since June. It shows.— Sam Youngman (@samyoungman) October 4, 2012
Mitt is totally alpha-rolling Obama right now.— Blake Hounshell (@blakehounshell) October 4, 2012
"You've been president four years." Mitt's zinger practice suddenly seeming a bit less ironic— AdamSerwer (@AdamSerwer) October 4, 2012
Obama doesn't know what he's here tonight to do. Romney does.— davidfrum (@davidfrum) October 4, 2012
So far Mitt has blatantly lied about his plans for taxes and Medicare, but he's sounded good doing it.— AdamSerwer (@AdamSerwer) October 4, 2012
Halfway through the debate Romney and his allies have to feel good. #debates— The Fix (@TheFix) October 4, 2012
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
Subscribe to the Week