Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday morning that the social network he started now has more than 1 billion active users worldwide, meaning that 1 in 7 people on the planet check Facebook at least once a month. The users are responsible for a combined 1.13 trillion "likes," 219 billion photos, and 140.3 billion befriendings. "I don't think in the history of the world that there's been a single medium that's amassed a billion users as fast as Facebook did," PR executive Steve Rubel told NBC's Today. "I struggle to think of anything that touches as many people as much as Facebook does. Maybe water..."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How U.S. special forces are preparing for the worst-case scenario in North Korea
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The best online movies to watch this weekend
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- The danger of the Democrats' lack of desperation
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- The secret to Gabrielle Hamilton's amazing grilled cheese sandwiches
- Hey, Paul Ryan's new poverty plan isn't completely terrible!
Subscribe to the Week