acebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday morning that the social network he started now has more than 1 billion active users worldwide, meaning that 1 in 7 people on the planet check Facebook at least once a month. The users are responsible for a combined 1.13 trillion "likes," 219 billion photos, and 140.3 billion befriendings. "I don't think in the history of the world that there's been a single medium that's amassed a billion users as fast as Facebook did," PR executive Steve Rubel told NBC's Today. "I struggle to think of anything that touches as many people as much as Facebook does. Maybe water..."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
Subscribe to the Week