acebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday morning that the social network he started now has more than 1 billion active users worldwide, meaning that 1 in 7 people on the planet check Facebook at least once a month. The users are responsible for a combined 1.13 trillion "likes," 219 billion photos, and 140.3 billion befriendings. "I don't think in the history of the world that there's been a single medium that's amassed a billion users as fast as Facebook did," PR executive Steve Rubel told NBC's Today. "I struggle to think of anything that touches as many people as much as Facebook does. Maybe water..."
- The indignity of canine bath time
- Watch The Daily Show definitively prove that corporations are not people
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: December 5, 2013
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- The logic behind the world's 4 weirdest strategic reserves
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 11 languages spoken by 11 people or fewer
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
Subscribe to the Week