acebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday morning that the social network he started now has more than 1 billion active users worldwide, meaning that 1 in 7 people on the planet check Facebook at least once a month. The users are responsible for a combined 1.13 trillion "likes," 219 billion photos, and 140.3 billion befriendings. "I don't think in the history of the world that there's been a single medium that's amassed a billion users as fast as Facebook did," PR executive Steve Rubel told NBC's Today. "I struggle to think of anything that touches as many people as much as Facebook does. Maybe water..."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The hidden reason for the student loan crisis
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Wounded in Boston, two brothers endure
Subscribe to the Week