Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday morning that the social network he started now has more than 1 billion active users worldwide, meaning that 1 in 7 people on the planet check Facebook at least once a month. The users are responsible for a combined 1.13 trillion "likes," 219 billion photos, and 140.3 billion befriendings. "I don't think in the history of the world that there's been a single medium that's amassed a billion users as fast as Facebook did," PR executive Steve Rubel told NBC's Today. "I struggle to think of anything that touches as many people as much as Facebook does. Maybe water..."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How I became a borderline hoarder
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week