Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday morning that the social network he started now has more than 1 billion active users worldwide, meaning that 1 in 7 people on the planet check Facebook at least once a month. The users are responsible for a combined 1.13 trillion "likes," 219 billion photos, and 140.3 billion befriendings. "I don't think in the history of the world that there's been a single medium that's amassed a billion users as fast as Facebook did," PR executive Steve Rubel told NBC's Today. "I struggle to think of anything that touches as many people as much as Facebook does. Maybe water..."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- How to adopt the perfect rescue dog
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why the poor can't catch a break on Thanksgiving
- Ferguson riots were terrible — but this racist reaction was worse
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- How to stop Black Thursday — and still score that big screen
- 10 things you need to know today: November 27, 2014
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week