arly Thursday, Facebook announced it had reached the 1 billion user mark, a mere eight years after the wildly popular social network launched. The milestone was actually reached on Sept. 14, but founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg waited until this morning to announce the achievement on NBC's Today. (Watch the video below.) "Thank you for giving me and my little team the honor of serving you," Zuckerberg wrote later. "Helping a billion people connect is amazing, humbling, and by far the thing I am most proud of in my life." Here, a look at the historic milestone, by the numbers:
More than 1 billion
Facebook users worldwide
1 out of 7
People in the world who use Facebook
Population of the U.S.
Population of China
Countries that have more citizens than Facebook has users (China and India)
The world's population in 1750
Engineers working on Facebook. That works out to 1 million users per engineer
"Likes" since the Facebook feature launched in February 2009
Location-tagged posts, including check-ins
Songs played using Facebook-compatible music apps like Spotify
Years of music played on Facebook
Average age of someone who joins Facebook
Twitter users worldwide
Facebook users when the company first filed for its initial public offering in February
Facebook users two years ago
Facebook users five years ago
Facebook users six years ago
People who use Facebook on their mobile phones, up 48 million from June. That's a "key metric" for the company looking forward, says Zack Whittaker at CNET, as people in developing countries use their phones as their primary internet connection.
- How to make people like you: 6 science-based conversation hacks
- The Black Death is back
- Millennial women have seriously narrowed the wage gap with men
- The lingering mystery of the 1964 World's Fair
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How Arrow became the best superhero show on television
- Watch Fox News' Megyn Kelly claim Santa, like Jesus, is a white guy
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- How does chocolate milk stack up as a sports drink?
- Cul-de-sacs are killing America
Subscribe to the Week