The trailer: Kudos to the marketing wizard who decided to air a new extended trailer for Steven Spielberg's presidential biopic Lincoln immediately after last night's presidential debate. After 90 minutes of Obama and Romney's wonky squabbling, the trailer — which ends with Daniel Day-Lewis' Lincoln booming, "I am the President of the United States of America, clothed in immense power!" — offered a multiplex-friendly POTUS that voters of all stripes can believe in. (Watch the new Lincoln trailer below.) The clip reveals a longer sample of Day-Lewis' interpretation of Honest Abe — a performance many critics already see as a shoo-in for a Best Actor Oscar. Is Lincoln the rare political movie that will have both Democrats and Republicans singing its praises when it hits theaters in December?
The reactions: The trailer, which opens with black-and-white photos and inspirational sloganeering, feels like "a campaign ad," says Brendan Bettinger at Collider. Maybe so, says Anthony Breznican at Entertainment Weekly, but it reaches across the aisle: "No matter what your political belief, can't you feel your head nodding along with this?" By arriving right after a debate that left both GOP and Democrat voters wanting "stronger stands from their candidates," the Lincoln trailer delivered "a much-needed catharsis" for a frustrated electorate. It's official, agrees Lindsey DiMattina at Hollywood.com: "Lincoln wins the first presidential debate of 2012."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 11 brilliant life hacks from my cleaning woman
Subscribe to the Week