s the National Hockey League's lockout reaches its 18th consecutive day with no immediate resolution in sight, the league has announced that 82 regular-season games, which were originally scheduled to take place from Oct. 11 to Oct. 24, have been canceled. The NHL lockout is the result of an ongoing clash between NHL owners and players over revenue, contracts, and free agency. The latest dispute comes just seven years after the NHL's last lockout, which eventually resulted in the cancellation of an entire hockey season.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
Subscribe to the Week